Cargo Handling At Moi International Airport
Moi International Airport (MIA) strategic geographical location at the coastal region of the Indian Ocean, positions it as an ideal tourist and trade destination airport for the region. The airport currently has 20 scheduled airlines with the majority of the international flights originating from Europe.
In the year 2011/2012, MIA witnessed eleven new airlines mainly from Europe starting operations at the airport. These include: Alitalia, Enter Air, Finnair, Novair, Oren Air, Windrose, Tui Nordic, Yes Airline and Time Airline of South Africa. This is important as Europe remains the main regional source market for the East African coast.
Several airport infrastructure and capacity enhancement projects have been initiated at Moi International Airport to enhance delivery, safety and efficiency of operations. These projects include:
- Rehabilitation works at Terminal Two which increased the airport capacity to handle an additional 500,000 passengers per annum
- Upgrade of the public address system
- Upgrade of air field and apron good lighting
- Kenya Airports Authority is now in the process of rehabilitating the pavements to improve strength and serviceability.
- The expansion of the Mombasa port and the Lamu-South Sudan project which are two major Vision 2030 flagship projects will make the Kenyan coastal region a major trade investment, giving MIA the competitive edge as the gateway to the region.
Cargo Facilities at Moi International Airport
Kenya Airfreight Handling Ltd (KAHL) operates the cargo facility at MIA with capability of handling 500 tonnes of cargo for exports and imports per month.
The facility includes:
- Export Warehouse 5,110 sq ft
- Import Warehouse 5,380 sq ft
- Radioactive Room 100.4 sq ft
- Strong room 841.1 sq ft
- Security Cage 328.17 sq ft
- Freezer room 15.25 sq m
- Cold room 25 sq m
- 55 offices of various sizes
- 150 motor vehicle parking slots
- Communication facilities (telephone, fax, email, etc)
Cargo Facilities proposed for development at MIA
- Development of a modern second state-of-the-art transit shed
- Development of a pack house