Malindi airport is located in the rich historial town of Malindi which is within the seafront of the indian ocean. Malindi as a town was founded by the Arabs in the early thirteenth century. By the 16th century the Portuguese made malindi as a supply station for portuguese ships. This was after Vasco Da Gama reached the town on 15th April 1498. However by 1666 the Portuguese lost control of the town to the Arabs.
The town took alow note untill 1861 when the Sultan of Zanzibar refounded the town. By 1887 Malindi like any other coastal 10mile strip was leased to the British East Africa Association by the Sultan. However by 1895, the British Government took full control of the coastal strip which included Malindi town.
The town became famous and by 1820s and 30s, the presence of Europeans holiday makers increased.
By 1944 and immediately after World war II, new hotels were built on the sea front. Amongst these was the present Eden Roc, founded by Lord Cabri. A small airstrip was put up within the hotel, and that was the birth of the present Malindi airport.
By this time untill late 1960s tourist who came to Malindi were east African residents, and visitors from wester Europe who wished to fly directly to Malindi but had to transit at Nairobi airport.
As traffic grew, the airstrip was overwhelmed and by 1958, the colonial Government relocated the airport to its present location.
While the dream of the founders of making direct international flights have not been realised, Kenya Airports Authority who took over the management of the facility in 1992 is in line of making this a reality.
The Airport currently serves the domestic routes and international charters to enable the international society sample the rich coastal tourist sites as they enjoy and relax in the fine white sand beaches.