JKIA has five cargo facilities with a capacity to handle 200,000 tonnes of cargo annually, and an animal holding facility which occupies 4,318.95ft. The cargo facilities are Kenya Airfreight Handling Limited (KAHL), Transglobal Cargo Centre,Nairobi Cargo Centre, and Cargo Service Centre.
1. Kenya Airfreight Handling Limited-KAHL
The export and import area measures 85,720 sq.ft.
- The main cold room measures 5,200sq.ft and the export cold room measures 262sq.ft.
- The cold room capacity is 100,000 tonnes and the temperatures are -18 and +2 degree Celsius.
- The fresh produce area measures 33,133 sq.ft.
- KAHL occupies 9,352 sq.ft office space and the remaining office space within KAHL is occupied by different operators.
- Also available at KAHL is a strong room, banking facility, business centre and, 642 motor vehicle parking slots and communication facilities through intercom and telephone extensions.
2. Transglobal Cargo Centre
Transglobal Cargo Centre is a multi-purpose facility, the only one of its kind in East Africa, which was designed and built to the highest specifications and requirements of a modern air cargo and freight operation. We are situated in the heart of the Specialized Freight Area of the Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, Nairobi, Kenya.
Vision - To achieve and maintain the highest level of professionalism and efficiency in order to become an integral part of our clients needs.
Mission - To provide high value services to our clients through alignment of our services to meet their needs by making our client our focal point.
- One level Customs bonded warehouse for 140 vehicles
- One level Customs bonded warehouse for 165 vehicles at show room standards
- One level Warehouse for goods in bond for export and import
- Pre-Delivery Inspection preparation facilities for vehicles
- Total area of 18,000 sq. ft – gazetted (Kenya Gazette) transit shed, fully secured with masonry walls, ample loading and offloading ramps, fully equipped with cargo racking, lifting and moving equipment
- Two-chamber cold store with independent temperature controls - total area of 1,000 sq. ft – will be expanded in the near future
- Security cage for high risk items
- General storage with racking
- Protected by a “state of the art” security system
- 5 floors of office space for airline customer
- Stand by generator
- Ample parking for staff and clientele
Ramp and aircraft handling, physical checks on weight, size, and condition of cargo , build-up and break down of pallets pallet transfer (air/air), storage, labeling,ULD control, air waybill issuance, proof of delivery, manifests, pre manifests, documents collection, dangerous goods check, live animals acceptance, security escort of cargo and mail (un-armed and armed).,other physical and documents handling, x-ray of cargo, trucking (on request)
Transglobal Cargo Centre,
Transglobal Towers-Freight Terminal
Jomo Kenyatta International Airport
P.O.Box 11364-00400, Nairobi, Kenya
Tel No: +254-(020)827069, 827108, 827188
Fax No: +254-(020) 827128
Ian J. Montgomery
Transglobal Cargo Centre
Mobile No: 254-733-999877
Chief Operations Manager
Transglobal Cargo Centre
Mobile No: 254-722-513183
3. Nairobi Cargo Center
The facility is situated at the JKIA’s Specialised Freight Area on a six acre site.
The facility is jointly sponsored by the Commonwealth Development Corporation, The German Investment and Development Company, the Commonwealth Africa Investment Fund Ltd, The Acacia Fund Limited, BOC Cargo Services, Flughafen Frankfurt Main, and African Cargo Limited.
- The export area measures 62,969 sq.ft
- The import area measures 62,969.4 sq.ft
- The cold room measures 7,459.46 sq.ft
- The cold room has a maximum capacity of 100,000 tonnes i.e. 60 pallets and the temperatures are 4 degrees Celsius
- There are 120 office units for rent
- Also available at NCC is a strong room, banking facility, Boardroom and Conference facility. 120 motor vehicle parking slots, master cargo handling computer system, power back-up generator and catering facility
- Communication is through intercom, telephone and radio
4. Cargo Service Center
Cargo Service Center has leased the facility from Kenya Airports Authority.
- The total area of the building is 63,725 sq.ft
- The export area is 538.2sq .ft
- The import area is 11,840.4sq.ft
- The cold room measures 1,614.6sq.ft
- The cold room has a maximum capacity of 15 pallets and the temperatures are +4 degrees Celsius
- The fresh produce area measures 6,458.4sq.ft
- There are 4 office units for their clients
- Also available at NCC is a strong room and, 30 motor vehicle parking slots.
5. Signon Freight
The total area of the complex is 161,460 sq.ft
- The export area is 9,680sq.ft
- The import area is 9,680sq.ft
- The cold rooms measures 9,687.6sq.ft
- There are a total number of 4 cold rooms
- The cold rooms have a maximum capacity of 90 pallets
- Three of these cold rooms have a minimum temperature of -2 degrees Celsius while the remaining one has a minimum temperature of -22 degrees Celsius
- The Car Park bay has 20 parking slots
- The building complex holds 40 offices in which 15 are rented out
- It has 3 bonded warehouses measuring 29,040 sq.ft
- The communication facilities include telephone exchange, E-mail, Faxes and SITA line
- Also available is a canteen within the complex
- A standby generator and, a strong room for the valuable cargo.
6. Animal Holding Station
The Animal Holding Station is administered by the Kenya Airports Authority. The station occupies an area of 4,318.95 sq.ft
- Receiving of live animals from airlines
- Watering and feeding within individuals kennels
- Walking of animals(dogs) in the quarantine area
- Physical examination of the animals
- Tarrifs-Based on individual animals,e.g. size,services,rendered and duration of stay
B). Mandatory Requirements
- Import license(permit) to enter the country
- A health certificate(must be from country of origin)
- Export permit(official from the government body)
- Incase of Dogs and Cats -a valid vaccination record MUST accompany the animal.
NB: Animals without the above documents shall be retained at the quarantine area at the expense of the owner.
All wildlife must be authorized by relevant wildlife authorities to move.No animal shall be allowed to transit or enter without CITIES,Export permit and certificate of origin.
JKIA Cargo Statistics
Year Freight (KGs)
Specialized Freight Area
JKIA has an exclusive earmarked freight area which has fourteen (14) Pack Houses with pre-cooling and processing facilities for cut flowers, fruits and other fresh produce. At JKIA, we strive to ensure that perishables are handled at a strategically dedicated area within the airport next to the cargo terminals.
Ramp Handling Companies
- Kenya Airways
- Kenya Aerotech
Cargo Carriers at JKIA
- Air France/KLM
- Lufthansa Cargo
- Emirate Sky cargo
- Ethiopian airlines
- Martin Air
- Saudia Airlines
- Etihad Crystal Cargo
- Egypt Air
- Singapore Airlines
- Qatar Airlines
- Turkish Cargo
- MK Airline
- Swiss world cargo
Cargo Belly Carriers
- Kenya Airways
- British Airways
- Virgin Atlantic
- South African Airways
- Air Rwanda
- Astral Aviation
- Kenya Airways
- Jet link
- Fly 540
- Africa Express Airlines
- Safari Air Express
- Blue Bird Aviation
- Marshland Airline
- Juba Airways
Cargo Cleaning Development
The cargo apron at the JKIA has now been expanded to accommodate 8(eight) wide-bodied aircrafts at any one time.Major expansion on roads leading to the cargo terminal, improved lighting system, water and sewerage system and modern ample and secure parking facilities for the motor vehicles.
Clearing and forwarding Companies
- SDV Transami
- Freight In Time
- Kuehne & Nagel
- Sky Train
- Total Touch
- Schenker International
- Siginon Freight
- Mitchell cotts
- Maya Fright
- TOTAL PLUS
- SKY EXPRESS (SKYNETWORLDWIDE)
- POSTAL CORPORATION
Eldoret International Airport (EIA)
1. Canken International
Occupies a total are of 21,000 sq ft comprising of warehouse for imports and exports and cold rooms for perishable shipments.
2. Siginon Freight
Occupies space measuring 12,196 sq ft as a warehouse for import and export shipments.
Moi International Airport (MIA)
The cargo facility at MIA is operated by Kenya Airfreight Handling Ltd (KAHL) with capability of handling 500 tonnes of cargo for exports and imports per month. The facility includes:
- Export Warehouse 5,110 sq ft
- Import Warehouse 5,380 sq ft
- Radioactive Room, 100.4 sq ft
- Strong room, 841.1 sq ft
- Security Cage, 328.17 sq ft
- Freezer room,15.25 sq m
- Cold room, 25 sq m
- 55 offices of various sizes
- 150 motor vehicle parking slots
- Communication facilities(telephone,fax,email,etc)
Kisumu International Airport
Space for development of cargo processing facilities at KIA is available. The following facilities shall be developed in due course:
- A modern Transit Shed for Imports/Exports
- Fish and fish products Pack House
- Fresh cut flower Pack House
- Fruits and vegetables Pack House
- Direct access to airside - closed-off landside entrance with customs gantry
- 10’400m2 warehouse floor, incl. 400m2 temperature controlled build-up area for perishables and 350m2 dedicated space for consolidation of other fresh produce
- 4 separate cold rooms with storage of up to 75 main deck units providing flexibility & redundancy
- Landside truck dock of 115m wide and 15m deep for all acceptance / delivery with 15 x 40ft truck positions (6 equipped with dock levelers) + 1 x 20ft dolly dock for acceptance of pre-built units specifications (1)
- Full donkey & slave-pallet concept, providing highest operational flexibility and an emission-free environment, all electric equipment
- 6 x 10ft scissors lift workstations, 3 sets of 3 lanes, bi-directional, semi-automated airside
- interfaces, each lane having a capacity of max 2 x 10ft + 1 x 15ft ULD’s
- Dedicated strong room incl. vault (64m2), DGR storage (167m2) and high-value storage (90m2)
- 1’280 Import/Export Euro pallet storage positions
- Automated data capturing & real-time inventory control on CargoSpot IT platform by means of Hand Held Terminals
- 3-zone security concept providing strict separation of cargo & people flows - highly restricted access to warehouse
- No structural separation of Import and Export area within the warehouse optimizes usability of available floor space during peak times
- Fully covered by CCTV system (>50 cameras) incl. digital recording (30-day retention)
- X- ray screening machines, metal detection machine and hand held detectors on site
- Empty ULD storage directly adjacent to warehouse
- Offices for Customs and other Government authorities on site
- 5 parking positions for wide-body full freighters directly outside warehouse
- 2,400m2 office space of which 2’000m2 for third parties (airlines, GSA’s, clearing & forwarding companies)
- Banking facilities on site