Cargo Handling At Kisumu International Airport
KIA is located at the industrial city of Kisumu, the third largest city in Kenya. The city serves as the communication and trading confluence for the Great Lakes Region: Tanzania, Uganda, Rwanda and Burundi. The Airport which was officially opened in 2011 by the former president Hon. Mwai Kibaki, boasts of an international facility capable of accommodating Boeing 767 aircrafts.
Development of cargo facilities
In order to facilitate the development of the agricultural industry for food security and growth, KAA has embarked on additional development of the airport. These developments include:
- Construction of a parallel taxiway and cargo apron
- Widening and strengthening of the runway by 3300m • Development of a cargo transit shed
- Development of a cut flowers pack house
- Development of a vegetables and fruits pack house
- Development of a sh processing pack house
These developments will position Kisumu International Airport as the key export airport for sh sugar, rice and fresh produce from the great lakes region. Kisumu’s contribution to the national economy is significant. It is anticipated that with the revival of the cotton industry and the molasses plant, coupled with strengthened support to the fishing industry, this contribution will increase significantly.